With the establishment of the Red River Ox Cart Trail in 1835, military and trade connections flourished between Anoka and Minneapolis. Many businesses sprung up like the Anoka Pressed Brick and the Terra Cotta Company in 1881. By 1912, the Coon Rapids Dam was constructed and with it an influx of laborers and engineers that increased the population of Coon Rapids to around a thousand people. When the dam was completed in 1914, it began to function as a regional power source. Also after completion of the dam Anoka Township renamed itself to Coon Creek Rapids and eventually shortened it to Coon Rapids. 1959 saw incorporation into a city.
The Geneva Suites