After the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 where one hundred thousand acres of land was negotiated from the local Dakota tribes in 1805 for the purpose of establishing a fort. The territory sits on both banks of the Mississippi River beginning at Saint Anthony Falls until the Saint Croix River. Many settlers came and established themselves in the area due to the protection provided by the fort. At around the 1840s the community became an important trading center and a popular destination for settlers west bound. Father Lucien Galtier, a French Catholic priest was sent to establish a chapel in 1841. He named the chapel after his favorite, Saint Paul the Apostle. When the Minnesota Territory was established in 1849, Saint Paul was named as the capital of the new state.
The Geneva Suites